Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Mis-communications

I bought some fruits (apples, bananas and oranges) from Sainsbury cos I need fruits after taking so many types of medications. When I saw the fruits I wanted to buy many many more types cos it is so cheap......... I mean dollar to dollar. £1++ for a bag of 8 nice sweet crunchy green apples and 5 big navel oranges. 5 Bananas is less than $1/- .

In all the supermarts, I noticed that they only sell one type of bananas that is Montel. I was explaining to Jon's family (sister/bro-in-law and dad) that in our country, there are so many kinds. We have pisang:- emas, raja, susu and berangan and those big big ones where they make kuih kodoh (sp) and the green ones used for making goreng pisang besides raja. They were surprised there were actually so many kinds.

Then after taking the bananas for a couple of days, I noticed I had alot of wind and keeps on farting which is so embarrassing. So I stopped eating. Jon's dad saw the balance and asked why I did not finished it. I told him that after taking the 'kong chiew' (banana in cantonese) I felt my tummy bloated with wind. Then he said, it happens becos u eat 'kong chiew' (male banana) - u should eat 'na chiew' (female banana). To my surprise, I exclaimed - eh! u have a different kind here too. He also claim that it is very good for diabetics. Then I said - ok , the next time u see those, u buy some for me to try. So, the very next day, he went out early and bought 4 huge pcs back which only cost $1/- He told me that these are specials ones and sold by the africans. When I saw it I thought eh! it looks like the ones they make kuih kodoh. Anyway I have to try it to show my appreciation since he is so nice to go all the way to the wet market to buy for me and keep repeating that it is good for diabetics.

I took one and cut it into half to share with him cos I said it was too big for me. He refuse to eat saying that he is not a diabetic and I end up eating the whole thing. Altho it has turned yellow, it still has the raw kind of taste. but I ate it all anyway. Does not nice lor. Then I said - oh! so the 'na chiew' is like that one arrrrrh! He just smile saying that maybe it is till not ripe enough. Ok, I shall wait till it is a bit soft.

Then on Beatrix's full moon, Jon's eldest brother and family came. The SIL prepared dinner while I just stayed in the room to tend to BB. During dinner, I noticed that 2 of the 'na chiew' was missing. So I asked - oh! someone has eaten it. Then the SIL said, no, I fried it. And showed me the balance. I took one and I said it definitely taste better after being fried. Then she started laughing and said that of course - this type of bananas have to be fried. NOBODY eats it raw.........then, the father laughed till he almost got chocked when I told them that the father purposely went to buy this 'na chiew' for me.

So naive of me, taken for a ride.

I can communicate with Jon's dad but then his hakka slang is terrible. One morning he was making ' kau yuk' (steam pork with some veg and herbs) . I heard 'kow yuk' (dog meat). Then I asked, huh! u eat 'kow yuk' one arrrrh! First time he said --- ya. Then I asked again, really arrrrh! u eat 'kow yuk' ?????? He roared into laughter and said NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IT IS 'KAU YUK' ................................... There is plenty more of these mis-communications. I must say, it irritates him at times but it makes his day most times.

1 comment:

janice said...

hahaha.. as long as there are ppl talking with him.. he is a fine old man lah ...